Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Letting Go Is Part of Life...

Yesterday, I  had the Hutchison Fleet of vehicles minus one serviced with oil changes, tire rotations, and alignment checks... and worked at the Ministry Center between jockeying the cars to Expert Tire.   Emma's vehicle was first.

Shortly after dropping her vehicle off, my mom called and we chatted a bit and she asked what I was doing.  So, I told her and she made a comment that I thought about all day...  She told me that I needed to teach my girls how to take care of their own cars, getting them in for service and then let them do it for themselves.  I told her that they both know when it needs to be done and they let me know and I do the rest.  I know it is soon time for me to let them handle making the appointment and so forth.  They are doing that in other areas of their lives now - like dentist, doctors, and glasses.

Mom is right... a necessary part of growing up is teaching our children how to take care of themselves and letting go.

The same is true in our discipling relationships.  We need to teach the people we are discipling what they need to know and then we need to let them go on their own.

The same is true with the church, too!  We need to constantly be raising up new people to take responsibilities and then let go of those things.  

In all aspects of life... training others and letting go is a necessary part of life.  Otherwise we create a co-depenant culture and that is not healthy.   I want my girls to be able to live fully and not be dependant on me.  Not that I mind doing for them, but I want them to know how to do for themselves and to have the confidence to do so!

No comments: