Thursday, December 6, 2012

Touched by Generosity!

It is the season of giving... and lately I have been touched by people's generosity.

I participate in a hunting forum online and one day this week a guy who recently lost his job was selling his hunting equipment so that he could raise $600 to get his children some things for Christmas.  A couple guys asked if he was getting out of hunting or if he was just doing this to provide for his children.  He said he was doing it to provide for his children.  One guy offered to buy his stuff and donate it back.  One guy stepped up to the plate and said that he would receive paypal donations from the members and would make up the difference himself to $500.  Well, that touched off a firestorm of donations.  It was almost no time till he had sent $2,000 and more are still coming.  It also touched off lots of offers for jobs.  And one guy offered to give him a new set of bow strings (this guy makes them) another guy paid his membership in the site.  Another guy offered his family to come to his Christmas Tree lot and get a tree.  My guess is that the donations now total over $2500.  Everytime I read the new posts, I get tears in my eyes seeing the generosity of people.  And all of this allowed the guy to keep his hunting stuff.

Tuesday, I stepped out in faith and made a financial commitment to help a friend.   I was sure that I could find the resources to meet the need between folks in our congregation and the men in my community Bible study group and if not I would kick in the difference.   Was not sweating it at all.  Wednesday, I got a phone call... totally unsolicited saying that someone wanted to step up and help out and it might cover the total amount!   Today, I received a call back saying that if it was needed the ENTIRE amount was covered!  WOW!

What a difference it makes in our lives and in the lives of others when we live generous lives!

No comments: