Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Maybe Just Maybe by Christmas!

I've been at this since March 12 and I am NOT complaining... but I am ready to see it change if it is going to!  And I have hope that it will.

On March 12 I began a long journey with Ramsey Hunt Syndrome, which is a combination of Shingles and Bells Palsy.   Thankfully the excruciating pain of the shingles only lasted a couple of weeks.  It's the paralysis from the Bells Palsy that is still troubling me.  I still can't whistle a tune.  And I can't fully pucker my lips.  Still have difficulty closing my right eye and now when I move my jaw (even chewing) my eye goes shut. 

For the past two weeks, my face has been really twitching and fluttering.  All of that feels funny but I am confident that it means that nerves are regenerating and muscles are coming alive once again.

This journey has taught me so much and has given me a greater appreciation for what stroke victims go through.  I also have a greater appreciation for the little things that we take for granted.  Like whistling, drinking from a cup, blowing out a candle, chewing your food on both sides of your mouth, blinking and winking your eyes, and the list goes on...

I am hopeful that by Christmas, this will all be behind me and it will be a distant memory.

No comments: