Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Great Hunt with Ben!

It was not hard to get Ben out of bed this morning nor to get him to go to bed last night!  He and I both turned in last night around 7:30 and when I woke him this morning at 5, he was up immediately!

We had a great morning in the deer woods.  COLD, crisp, the perfect kind of weather... wind blowing in the right direction.  We didn't hear a shot until about 8 a.m. and friends I was texting who were hunting elsewhere said the same thing!  We both thought we were going to get to the time he had to leave for a commitment and not see a deer.  His hands were cold, so I was holding his gun, when all of a sudden I caught movement on a road in the woods.  It was a buck.  I passed the gun from my stand to Ben and told him to get ready for when the buck gave us a shot.  The buck missed the movement of passing the gun over to Ben, but didn't miss the movement of Ben taking the mitten part of his gloves off.  He looked at us and then decided to go out to the field.  Which is just what we needed him to do, turn sideways.  As he did, I grunted at him with my mouth and he stopped and I told Ben to shoot when he was ready.  Ben shot and the deer dropped.  Great shot on a great deer.

He is a pic of him that I took a few weeks ago when I was bow hunting that stand and he walked under me.



And here is the buck and Ben and all their glory!  I am so proud of my nephew!  This is his second buck ever!



No comments: