Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Day I Will Never Forget!

Took my nephew Ben turkey hunting today.  We have turkey hunted together the last 3 years but before today, we have been unable to get him a turkey, even though we have had them in front of us and in range.

Today, we got up at 4:30 and were in the field by 5:25.  Birds started gobbling in 3 directions around us, so we went after the closest birds.  We set up along a clover field and promptly had 3 hens come in and feed in the clover field - catching bugs- for nearly 2 hours.  Had gobbling around us but nothing would come in.  So about 9, we decided to go after the deepest gobbling turkey we heard.  We went to three different calling locations and sat for a while and called but nothing.  Looked in neigbhors fields and nothing there.  So, about 10:15 on our way back across the farm to try the other side and some gobblers we heard on that side, I rounded the woods corner and looked through my binos at the clover field some 500 yards away... and there were three toms... eating.  I quickly found Ben a tree to set up at the base.  Then crawled out into the field to set out the decoys. (there was a slight knoll in the field that allowed me to do that unseen by the turkeys)  Crawled back to Ben and stood next to the tree he was sitting near and called.  My first call, on my SS CUSTOM box call and it got their attention.  Their heads popped up and they were looking our way.  A few more cackles and they were headed toward us.  I sat down and kept calling.  As I called, they gobbled... all the way across the field.  When they topped the knoll Ben had a front row seat to a drama that was about to unfold unlike any he had ever seen before.  I called and they gobbled.  They half-strutted in wing to wing...3 wide... what a beautiful sight.  They came the whole way to my decoys gobbling and strutting... When the moment was right, Ben took the shot and the bird he was aiming at hit the ground.  He had his first turkey and what a memorable day for us.



I will never forget this day!  Got my first turkey at a much older age, with my good buddy from PA... Mr. Bryan Bilger. 

No comments: