Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Worth the Work!

Before he left the earth on his way to heaven after his resurrection, Jesus left the disciples with these words..."All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 So you must go and make disciples of all nations. Baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And you can be sure that I am always with you, to the very end."    He charged them and all who follow after with the task of making disciples! 

Making disciples is hard work and takes lots of time, but it is so worth the work!

I have been investing in a friend's life for many years now and he has just come through what some would call the most challenging time of his family's life, but he is doing it with a smile because of the peace of Christ that he feels.   And more than that he is now seeking to use his story to impact others and he is discipling a couple of guys as well.   There is nothing more rewarding than to see a friend filled with the peace of Christ and sharing that with others!

Now, I am investing in another friends life!  It takes lots of time... there are text messages throughout the day, phone calls for long periods of time, hours spent together talking, serving, studying the Bible, praying, laughing.   And I wouldn't trade one second of that for something else!   I am starting to see this friend deepen his faith and find the same peace that my first friend has found!  

And the cool thing is that this friend has been going through some rough times as well and he is being sustained through them by the peace of Christ.   And even more... he is reaching out to other friends to share his journey with them and is begining to disciple others.

Making disciples takes lots of time, energy, and is hard work, but it is so worth all of the work involved!

And more than that, it is what we are charged by Jesus to do!   I am glad that I have had these experiences and wouldn't trade them for anything in the whole world.  I am praying for more opportunities and hope you will consider how you can begin the process of discipling others too!

No comments: