Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Solitude... Sabbath!

This week our Wednesday night small group is practicing the soul training exercise of Solitude. The task is to get away by ourselves and discover who we are as God's children. Quiet time, reflection on scripture, silence... all part of the experience.

Yesterday, I was feeling the need for some extended time... so, I took a sabbath from work! As a preacher, I don't get Sunday off! And lately, my weeks have been VERY FULL! And with an office in the house, it is hard to separate my work from my life! It is easy to try to take a day off, but then quickly allow a little of this and a little of that to creep in. So, yesterday, I decided I was not going to do anything work related at all! And what a refreshing time I had!

Everyone of us needs a time of solitude and sabbath in our lives! God knew that and that is why he commands us to Remember the Sabbath. Not to turn it into a regulation to impose or feel guilty for not taking... but to find refreshment and renewal! It is amazing the difference it can make in our lives!

Try it!

No comments: