Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fear of the Lord

So many places in Scripture it says something about "Fear of the Lord". Today's reading in Proverbs says that "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom."

Does that mean that I am wise when I am afraid of the Lord?

I am afraid (no pun intended) that too many people hear it that way. They think that they are to be afraid of the Lord. In fact, just last night I had someone ask me if it was okay to cut back on their giving because they are incurring lots of additional expenses now. The concern was that they were afraid of what God might do to them if they did.

I think it is better to understand the Fear of the Lord as encouraging us to know God's place in our lives and in our world. Elevate him above all else. Lift him up to the top. And when we live our lives with God at the top or as I like to say, "as the center" we are wise.

So, the fear of the Lord is not being afraid of God... but is keeping God at the center or the top of our lives. Living in AWE of him and who he is and knowing that he is the source of all that is. That is what it means to fear the Lord!

No comments: