Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An Interesting Discovery....

The other day I was reading the first chapter of Mark. I've read it MANY times. In fact, I just preached from it the week before, but that day, I saw something I had never seen before!

One of the struggles that all of us have when we read the Bible, especially those of us who grew up reading it or hearing it, is that it is hard to get beyond our preconceived ideas. We approach the passage and we already know what it says. But on Sunday, as I read Mark 1, I saw something new!

In Matthew's record of Jesus' baptism, the sky opens and and dove becomes visible and God announces to all who are gathered, "this is my son, with whom I am well pleased."

But in Mark, God says, "You are my son, with you I am well pleased."

Did you see what I saw?

In Mark, God speaks directly to Jesus! The Father is telling the son that he is loved. And then in both Mark and Matthew Jesus is taken out into the wilderness to face Satan and be tempted. What an awesome message to take with him as he went to face what was ahead. He is loved!

As you face temptations and struggles in life... know that YOU are God's child and he loves you very much!

No comments: