Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another Lesson Learned and Taught!




Took my nephew, Ben, turkey hunting this morning at my parent's farm. It was raining hard as we walked in and we got wet, but thankfully I have a blind and we set it up and stayed mostly dry. We heard gobblers in the early morning, which was unusual given the rain. Usually they stay quiet in the rain, but not this morning. They gobbled steadily.

After day light, we saw two hens come out to the field to feed and they stayed out there most of the morning. Also saw 10 deer and 3 foxes.

About 10, Ben and I decided to go for a walk in the rain, because we had heard a gobble in the woods behind us. I knew better on two counts, but we did it anyway! First, we should have stayed put! But we had been in the blind for 4.5 hours and I was sitting on the ground and ready to change positions - my back was killing me! And second, we should have taken up the decoys before we left.

We walked through the woods and called a few times and looked at the green fields -- no turkeys, that is until we were driving the truck around to the blind to pack it up and put the decoys away and there in our decoys was a really nice gobbler! Lesson learned and taught!

Ben and I learned that patience does pay off. We also learned that when turkey hunting, things can change instantly! The turkey learned that the plastic birds were not real!

Oh well, it was a fun morning and we both enjoyed ourselves!

1 comment: