Thursday, December 13, 2007

More on the Church/City thing....

I understand that there is much that I don't know about this situation that took place between the city of Salisbury and Bethany Lutheran Church (our neighbors). I also understand that emotions are running high and mistakes surely have been made.

After today's paper article quoting Bill Holland from the City, I decided to write him an email expressing my concern which is not one I have heard yet! My biggest concern in the situation is that the city has given credence to anonymous complaints. In all my years as a leader who is sometimes subject to hearing complaints, I have round filed EVERY anonymous complaint I have ever gotten! That's what the city should do too! And I told them so! Who's to say that the complainer isn't someone with an axe to grind. And who's to say that the "many" anonymous complaints received in this matter aren't a few people or even one person. I think it is a dangerous and unwise leadership practice to do anything other than throw away anonymous complaints!

My biggest fear in the whole deal is that this practice of receiving anonymous complaints will increase the complaints.

If I have a problem with my neighbor, I feel it best to schedule a meeting and talk it out. If that process doesn't work, then by all means contact the city officials responsible, but don't do it anonymously... how can anything be worked out if that's the way it is handled?!

Jesus teaches a similar method of conflict resolution (for brothers and sisters in the church) in Matthew 18... and I think the principle transfers to situations outside the church too!

No comments: