Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Forgiveness and Consequences

I had an experience recently that has made me think alot about forgiveness.  What it is and what it isn't.

Six or so months ago, I had an interaction with a brother in Christ that didn't go well... we butted heads and ended up hurting one another.   When I realized that something I said caused hurt, I immediately said I was sorry and asked for forgiveness from my brother.  At the time he said he forgave me.    And our relationship has been normal ever since.  That is until just the other day.

My brother did something to me that was a shock and when I asked about it, I was told that when he forgave me he told me that there would be consequences and what happened was my consequence.

Now I am writing this not because I want sympathy or am wanting to heap coals on this brother.   Rather I am writing this because I am concerned that this understanding of forgiveness is too prevelant in our society and it is NOT a biblical model of forgiveness at all! 

Once you extend forgiveness to a person... gone is the desire to get even, or issue consequences.   You see if you still look for ways to put the person, you say you forgave, in their place, then you really haven't forgiven them.   Because forgiveness wipes the slate clean!

Think of it this way... If God handled forgiveness like this... none of us would spend eternity with him!  

No comments: