Sunday, February 26, 2012

Back To Normal

It is always a time of mixed emotions when our shelter experience comes to an end.  On one hand many of us who have given lots of our time during the two weeks are more than ready to get our lives back to some sense of normalcy (whatever that is!).   And on the other hand, we are sad to see our guests go... at least most of them!  

At Commnunity of Joy, we are delighted to be able to host these two weeks and provide our guest a respite from the dead of winter by showing them God's love and hospitality! 

One final thought on these two weeks... on Friday morning... the last morning I was there from an overnight, I overheard one of the breakfast guys say as he was dropping off the breakfast... "in my next life, I hope I am homeless."   And my heart broke... in my mind, I said to myself, you don't have a clue what you are saying!   While it may look like these guys have it made during their time with us, they don't!  

The bottom line is they don't have anyplace to go that is theirs!  They have to sleep in a room of 19 other men - the sounds and smells of that experience is enough to deter me!   They can't have a shower whenever they want.  They don't always have clean clothes to put on.   They often don't know where they will spend their day.   Many don't have regular contact with family.   Their friends will turn on them in a heartbeat, if they have something the so called "friend" needs.   They have to rely on the goodness of others for even the basics.    If they are hungry, they can't go buy a snack.   Many of them have addictions that are controling their lives.   And that is just a few of the struggles they face.  

It is always my prayer leading up to and during these two weeks that the experience of hosting the guys will bring about change in us!  That we will learn a bit more about not judging others.  That this experience will soften our hearts and show us better how to love unconditionally!      For that is the kind of love Jesus shares and it is the kind of love that he calls us to share too!

No comments: