Thursday, July 8, 2010

Something I Never Thought I'd Do....

While at the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference, Sharon talked me into competing in the Brethren Benefit Trust 5K Fitness Challenge Walk/Run.  So, I signed up.  Paid my $10.  Told my friend I was going to win it... he laughed and asked how long I had been training for it.  I told him I was walking not running but was going to compete.  Sharon said, "you walk anyways in the morning, just walk in it and don't worry about being competitive."  But I am competitive by nature and why would I pay money to do something that I was gonna do anyways?  So, I got near the front of the 166 people strong crowd at the starting line and when they said go, it began for sure for me!

My mile time was 11:29.   And my finish time was 35:54.  I tied for 3rd and came in first in my age grouping beating the 2nd in my age group by nearly 10 minutes!   The top walker's time was 31.23.   And I learned that he has competed for years!  I even completed the course well ahead of many runners!  It felt so good!

After the race, the second place walker showed me some techniques that if I apply, will make me even faster.  Who knows, I might just have found a new hobby!  At least maybe a new activity at Annual Conference from now on! 

Thanks to Diabetes, and the encouragement of my wife, I was able to compete in this first for me!

1 comment:

cathy b. said...

So you're going to be doing that wiggle race-walking thing publicly in the mall? Takes guts!