Monday, October 13, 2008

So Moving...

Yesterday's funeral was a true testimony to a life well lived, even if short! Cindy touched so many people in profound ways in her 46 years! It was standing room only at the funeral home and somewhere close to 20 or more peices of fire equiptment for the procession. And then the ladder trucks forming the arch at the cemetary was beautiful. It was also heartwarming to see the firemen at Fruitland along the roadside with a truck and in uniform at attention as we drove by!

But the most moving part of the whole service was at the very end. And I confess I was a bit cynical when the funeral director mentioned the possibility... I thought not another way to take money... but boy was I wrong... and I even had to confess my error to the lady who did it!

At the end of the committal service, there was a lady who brought some white doves... they were in a white wicker basket... three in one and 1 in another. T.J. -- Cindy's son released the three (after the lady read a informative piece and psalm) the three represented the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then as they circled the crowd in the bright blue, cloudless sky, to the song "Wind Beneath My Wings", Glenn released the lone dove -- symbolizing Cindy's spirit... and when it joined the three and all four circled and circled the crowd... what a breathtaking picture. And if that wasn't moving enough... on the third circle, all four doves, swooped down just above Glenn and T.J.'s heads... I almost lost it at that moment! What a fitting final piece to the service!

I was so wrong about the doves.... I would highly recommend anyone doing that as an awesome and moving end to a very difficult service!

No comments: