Thursday, July 10, 2014

Outward...

For the past 15 years, I have been working at turning our church outward.  It is easy to turn outward for a one time thing but it is hard to stay outward focused.  There is just something innate about churches that makes them like to turn inward and huddle with each other.  We even expect people to come to us.

One of the ways that we have been working at turning outward is through our Be A Blessing Sundays.  I have seen a spark in the number of people who are intentionally working at looking outward and finding people that they can bless.  

I have seen disinterested people sit up and take notice when someone starts talking about what our church is doing on these Sunday's.  Recently, I was talking with a man I just met and his wife whom I have known for a couple months.  Sadly, they have been hurt by the church.  I have been conversing with the wife and praying for them to find healing from that past hurt.  In our exchange, the husband seemed very disinterested in more than meeting me, especially when his wife told her I was a pastor.  But then I saw his countenance change and he even stepped closer, when his wife started telling him all about our Be A Blessing Sundays.  I find that a lot.  And I don't think it is odd.

It is a natural reaction from people who hear what the church says but don't see it being lived out in their lives.  Who can blame them.  We have things a bit twisted around in the way we do things.  I saw this video last night and it is worth 10 minutes of your time.  It will help you see the value in being outward focused.

I would love to see some of these missional communities form at Community of Joy!

No comments: