Monday, July 29, 2013

Being Neighborly...

I have always wanted to be a good neighbor where ever I have lived.  I work hard at it.  And being a good neighbor in the neighborhood of the Community of Joy Ministry Center is equally as important to me.  That's why when we bought the facility and it had not been well cared for outside, with overgrown shrubs, briars and brambles, we decided to invest lots of time and money into cleaning up the property.  Even had several neighbors stop and express appreciation for our efforts.  In the 6 years that we have owned the property, we have always worked hard at keeping it looking nice, including picking up street side trash that isn't ours.

I found it a bit ironic last night to get an email from an adjoining neighbor asking if I could send someone from the "church over to pick up the trash on Smith St as it is piling up."  So, I said sure.  I hadn't noticed it because I enter off of South Blvd but would look into it and pick up the mess. I went over this morning expecting to find a lot of trash and to take a good amount of time to pick up.  Here is what I found...


And it only took me less than 5 minutes to pick it up AND to pick up some trash in front of this neighbor's house too!  I am NOT complaining.  However, I am raising an awareness of what it means to be a good neighbor.  And I hope that if you see some trash in front of your neighbor's house or property and it bothers you, that you will take a few moments to pick it up for them.   After all, we can't be too neighborly!

No comments: