Sunday, January 6, 2013

Really???

Last night on my way home from hunting with my nephew Ben in Cordova, I drove by a church (that shall remain nameless) that had in gigantic letters on their lighted sign ... "Come Visit   All Are Welcome".

That is a great message and one that we certainly want to communicate as a church!  However, I seriously question the truthfulness of their message.   And not for reasons that you might think.    You see, no where was it evident what time their gatherings are.   So they are telling me I am welcome but they aren't telling me the time they want me to come!

Now to be fair, their times are on the sign but they are like 2 point size and unreadable even if you stopped on the shoulder of the road to find out.   The welcome message was big... like 70 point size. 

This sign got me to thinking... how much do we try to do all we can to make it easy for people to join us?   Sadly and I think unintentionally, we express welcome, but then we don't do all that is necessary to help people come.  So, in the end, our welcome really isn't very welcoming!

How welcome are new people to your church?

No comments: