Sunday, July 1, 2012

Remembering a Sermon...

I did something yesterday that brought back a memory of a sermon I heard nearly 20 years ago.  It was preached by someone I no longer can remember - I think he was Presbyterian.  It was preached in a big ole tent at the Rothrock Fair in McVeytown, PA.  It was opening night of the fair and the annual tradition was for the Ministerial Association to hold a community worship gathering on that first night.

Don't remember the bible passage of much about the sermon except the story the preacher was telling about a quandry he had one fall day.  He was raking leaves in his front yard and had to decide what to do when he got to the property line.  How far do you rake?  Where do you stop?   Is raking your neighbor's leaves a way of showing God's love for them?

I have thought of this often when I am engaged in activities like raking leaves, shoveling snow, or picking up storm damage.   Such was the case yesterday, my 87 year old neighbor had alot of pinecones and small branches scattered all over her front and back yard.  My yard was relatively clean.  As I was picking up what was in my yard, I remembered the sermon and I decided to pick up hers.   It is such a good feeling to share the Love of God with someone by blessing them!

No comments: