Monday, July 9, 2012

Community... REAL Community!

I have been enjoying listening to the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference that is now taking place in St. Louis, MO.  I was unable to attend this year due to congregational finances.  But due to technology have been enjoying watching Saturday night and last night from my family room and today from my office.  It has even been possible for me to interact with other viewers and a few folks there via the online chat and texting.  I have enjoyed it very much.  It is the next best thing to being there.

However, I have come to some conclusions this year while watching it too!

You can work toward building community through technology but it isn't the same as being together face to face!  

For instance, this year, due to a growing tension in the life of our denomination and a desire to move beyond that tension together, the delegate body is sitting around round tables.  And after the business items are presented, they have 10 minutes to talk around the table with focus questions.  It appears that this is an AWESOME thing - this morning the Moderator asked if 10 minutes was too much time and no one thought it was!   While I can interact with the folks online in chat and through texts with the folks there, there is NO substitute or way to have this kind of deepening community.  I have a hunch that this will transform our denomination and do a world of good.

All of this has made me realize that there really is no substitute for real - face to face community.  

That is even true of congregational life too!  Sure you can listen to the sermon or watch the worship gathering online if you miss a Sunday, but that in NO WAY can replace the power of REAL COMMUNITY that forms when we are face to face!

I am not discounting social media or other forms of technology that we might use to stay connected.  They each have their place... but NONE of them can replace face to face connection!

We were created for community and in community we discover our strength!

No comments: