Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Working Through the Struggle

Normally Wednesday is my sermon writing day, but today, I have been overwhelmed with a cloud hanging over my head.  You see, this morning I awoke to the news that an acquaintance of mine took his life last night just 9 months after his 19 year old son did the same thing and just a few months shy of his 50th birthday.   And I just can't seem to get his wife and youngest son off my mind or out of my prayers.

First thing this morning, I went for a stroll in the garden and hoped that the vibrant colors and beauty out there would help lift the cloud.  But that was only temporary.



But I just can't seem to get past the cloud I feel for them.  So, this afternoon, I went out to the garden in the dripping heat of the day and picked blueberries.   I find that picking blueberries in my backyard is a wonderful time to pray.  So, I spent lots of time praying for the wife, and son, and all the countless other people whose lives have been affected by this horrible tragedy!   

And now, I turn to the Psalms for comfort.  The psalm writer has obviously experienced a tumultuous experience and in this psalm he is offering the hope that we have in God's constant presence even in the midst of struggle and pain.  So, I pray this psalm for all those affected by a deep sense of loss today...(adapted from Psalm 46)


God you are our refuge and strength,
    always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not fear when earthquakes come
    and the mountains crumble into the sea.
 Let the oceans roar and foam.
    Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!
May we be still and know you, O God, our refuge and strength!

No comments: