Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What Would You Do?

This morning I had one of those moments where I made a choice to honor Christ but I could have easily made another choice.

I began not feeling well last night and needed some cold medicine to take during the day so that I wouldn't be drowsy.  So, after walking for most of my normal time, I headed to Walmart to get some medicine and milk.  I chose to use the self check out counters there and when I scanned my first cold medicine, it said that I needed authorization, so I asked the lady who oversees the registers to come help me.  She did and then I asked her to stay because I was sure that the next medicine would have the same issue.  She scanned it too and then went on her way.  I scanned the milk and pushed the "finish and pay" button only to see that my total was about $15 less than what I expected it would be.  I completed the transaction and looked at the receipt to see that it had charged me twice for the .88 medicine and had not charged me for the $14.47 medicine.  So here is the place I had a choice.

I could walk out and know that I got a $14.47 med for .88.  Or I could tell the lady and get her to correct it.

What would you do?

It wasn't a temptation to me at all!  I knew what I was going to do as soon as I saw it....

I went up to the lady and explained what happened and she didn't believe me so, she asked for the $14.47 med and scanned it.  Found that I was being honest.  Thanked me for my honesty and then sent me to customer service to get it cared for there.

Here was another place I had a choice... I could have just kept going and had a $14.47 medicine for .88.

Again it was not a choice for me... I went to customer service and told the lady, "you probably won't get many transactions like this today, but here is what happened and I owe you some money."   She rang in my credit of .88 and then the $14.47 medicine too.  I paid her the money and went on my way.

I can sleep tonight knowing that I represented Jesus well!  Even if the second lady didn't thank me for my honesty or not.  Because I am not living for the applause of people... I am living for the applause of nail scarred hands!



1 comment:

StacyMae67 said...

I am usually very honest in these situations--especially if Lena is with me; however, I'm so broke right now I may have considered it a blessing to get the medicine so cheap. So many times in my life I have rationalized my sin: "God knows I'm sick and poor so He cut me a break."
Sounds more like the devil than the Lord.

In all honesty, I'd probably opt to suffer rather than pay $14 for mucinex LOL.